My brother Colt came "home" to his apartment where Chris and I are staying this weekend. He came home on Sat. night and left at 4 am on Tues. This will probably be the longest we get to see him before he deploys again in Nov. But at least we did get to spend some time with him!
The first night he was home I made him Italian Firehouse Soup, banana pudding and chocolate macaroons. He opened his birthday presents and we watched "Sufer Dude". It was wonderful to have down time with Colt because he is always running around trying to pack as many things into a few hours as possible. It's one of the reasons I love him, but it also makes me dizzy how fast he moves around! ;)
The first night he was home I made him Italian Firehouse Soup, banana pudding and chocolate macaroons. He opened his birthday presents and we watched "Sufer Dude". It was wonderful to have down time with Colt because he is always running around trying to pack as many things into a few hours as possible. It's one of the reasons I love him, but it also makes me dizzy how fast he moves around! ;)
Colt treated us to a VERY YUMMY brunch buffet on Sunday, at a little place right by his apartment. From there we went to Old Town Alexandria, which is SUCH a fabulous place! It has a million little shops with everything from vintage clothes and funky kitchen gadgets to antiques and a specialty Christmas ornament store! I love going down there, Chris and I have gone a couple of times, but Colt knows some of the "local" places. We stopped at a place called "Union Street Public House" to have appetizers and wine before we went to the movies. Colt really wanted to see Harry Potter on IMAX, but Chris and I have not read the 6th book and didn't want to ruin it. So, we saw Inglorious Bastards. For some reason I have always been interested in WWII movies and that time period, so I liked the movie, although one scene was so intense I started crying...which of course I was made fun of for later! ;)
This is a picture of fabulous Old Town Alexandria! It doesn't come close to showing all of the shops!

On Monday we went to another great breakfast at a place called Bus Boys and Poets in Shirlington, VA. It was amazing, I had the "Neptune Benedict" which was benedict with crab cakes and eggs...who would have thought it would be AMAZING!! :) Our waitress told us about a theater production dress rehearsal of "Dracula" put on by the Synetic Theater that night. So we went back to Colt's apartment, got dressed up and went to that. It was only a run through but it was excellent, we are hoping to be in this area in October at least in order to see the actual production! We then made our way over to Georgetown, to a place called Tombs. They had yummy finger food, plus it was trivia night! Colt, Chris and my team was "The Chicken Strips" because that's what we were eating...originial huh?! We spent about an hour there before walking back to Colt's apartment to have dinner, at 12:30 pm. Colt packed up after dinner and went to bed because he had to be up at 3 am to leave at 4 am. We had such an amazing time with him as usual...and we miss him already!
YAY! Sounds like a fabulous time...and Alexandria looks like so much fun. I love little places like that so much. I'm glad you got in some good time with your brother. :)
ReplyDeleteHow sweet! Looks like you and your brother have a great relationship! What a great place to be with all those fun shops and things to see! Glad you had such a great time!
ReplyDeleteSo happy you and Chris got to spend time with Colt between his pre-deployment trainings. So jealous of course of all the things to see and do in the area:)! For sure non-stop culture, boutiques, history, etc., etc...
ReplyDeleteEnjoyable to read the journaling of adventures! Love, MOM